Economical to produce, widely available asphalt roofing shingles are less costly than other roofing products like wood shakes, tile, metal, or slate, and their guaranteed lifespan makes them a consumer favorite.
Your Philadelphia home has seen all kinds of weather from the heat of the summer to the snows and ice of winter, and your roof is subject to it 24/7. That’s why it’s important to make an educated decision when you need a new roof. Asphalt shingles have proven to be one of the most cost-effective and reliable options available for your roof.
Here’s what you’ll love about widely popular asphalt shingles:
All About Asphalt Shingles
Asphalt shingles are trusted by homeowners across America. Their makeup consists of either a fiberglass base or (organic) paper-backed base, coated with a waterproof layer of asphalt and covered with ceramic granules. The fiberglass base is light yet lends dependable strength to your roof as well as fire protection!
Are asphalt shingles eco-friendly?
Many companies offer fiberglass shingles that incorporate features such as solar reflective asphalt that helps keep the sun’s rays from heating up a building. This means you get an eco-friendly benefit by saving energy that would usually be needed to cool your home!
What are the three main types of asphalt shingles?
- 3-tabs lay flat and acquire their name from the three tabs on each shingle strip. They look like three shingles, but they are actually all one piece. These are the most basic type of roof shingle. They are super cost effective, lightweight, and deliver reliable protection from the elements. Note: their warranties aren’t as long as architectural or luxury shingles.
- Dimensional shingles, which deliver the attractive look of a wood shake roof. These are also called architectural shingles, and they are made with an added layer of asphalt so they have greater dimension. Used for high-end homes, they come in various shapes and sizes to give your house a more interesting (dimensional) look. They boost curb appeal with their color and style. They come with a longer warranty than 3-tab shingles.
- Luxury shingles mimic the look of slate and are larger than other types of asphalt shingles. These premium shingles are impact resistant, won’t be damaged from hailstorms, and don’t need to be replaced as often as other asphalt shingle types. Designed to look like slate tiles or cedar shakes, they deliver unique style, strength, and durability. Some are even energy-efficient so they keep your home cooler in the summer and lower your utility bills.
What are the components of an asphalt roof?
Asphalt shingles are part of a roofing system made primarily out of asphalt roofing components including asphalt shingles, roof decking, roof flashing, underlayment, a drip edge, ice and water shield, ridge capping, roof vents, pipe boots, and flashing. All of these are vital to safeguarding your home from the elements.
What other names are asphalt shingles known by?
Asphalt shingles are also known as composite shingles or composition shingles because they are a product made from the combination of either a fiberglass mat or cellulose mat, asphalt, and granules.
The longevity of asphalt shingles
With asphalt shingles, your roof will endure harsh weather and protect your home from leaks. To get the most out of your asphalt shingles, make sure they are properly installed by a reputable contractor (like us!) and ensure your attic is sufficiently ventilated.
If you notice your shingles are curled, buckled, missing, cracked, or damaged, it’s likely time for a new roof. Also, you may see granules accumulate in your gutters, downspouts, and on the ground.
What is the lifespan of asphalt shingles?
- 3-tab shingles have a reliable lifespan of 25 years.
- Dimensional shingles (architectural shingles) are expected to protect your roof for a full 30 years.
- Luxury shingles deliver 30 to 50 years of protection! Their warranty covers them for 30-50 years too!
How often should asphalt shingles be inspected?
Maintenance matters when it comes to your roof. By having it checked over periodically, you’ll catch any problems and prevent leaks so you don’t suffer damage. Also, do a visual inspection yourself after severe storms, and each spring and fall.
Benefits of Asphalt Shingles
One of the reasons asphalt shingles are so popular is they are a budget-friendly roof replacement. Because they are so popular, they’re also readily available.
Asphalt shingles are super customizable. They come in a variety of styles, colors, and designs to enhance your home’s aesthetics.
Protection from the weather elements is of primary importance when it comes to your roof. And asphalt shingles deliver consistently, giving you peace of mind even in the midst of a storm.
Durable asphalt shingles deliver long-lasting coverage for your home. Manufactured with multiple layers of fiberglass and asphalt, they are more resistant to weather and algae growth than any other roofing product.
4. Low Maintenance
Asphalt shingles are well manufactured and don’t require a lot of upkeep. Simply contact a roofer if they need repairing.
Protect Your Pennsylvania Home with Impressive Asphalt Shingles
You deserve the finest protection for your home. At Porter Family Exteriors, as a GAF Master Elite Roofing Contractor, we install North America’s best-selling roofing shingle — Timberline lifetime architectural roofing shingles from GAF. We’re proud to offer you exclusive warranties and skilled installation of GAF products.
Learn more about how our roofing services enhance your home’s beauty and protect it for years to come.